Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Mountains are Calling.











My father took me skiing at a small family owned slope for the first time when I was four years old, this was the beginning of something great for me.  Later venturing to seven winters in Vermont. We skied Mount Snow for five winters. We skied with two other families that were are my Dad’s best friends from College and their 4 boys.  I remember the day the boys stopped taking lessons to ski the diamonds on the backside of the mountain with their dads. I was jealous and determined to be able to ski with them too. I remember my father taking me to ski my first real diamond on the North Face at Mount Snow. My father Uncle Paul, his son and I skied the North Face all day. I pushed myself  to keep up with the long time experts skiing moguls and glades until the lifts closed. On the way to the base my father popped his shoulder out marking for me the importance of safe skiing and what to do in an emergency Looking back it happened for the best.  Each winter I worked on my form and skills seeking to improve. Over the next three winters the families went to Stratton, Okemo and White Face, and  I caught up and soon surpassed the experts that I had idolized. 
Last winter I skied seven resorts in Colorado including, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, Arapahoe Bason, Keystone, Vail, and Breckenridge with my father. It truly was a trip dedicated to seizing the day and skiing. By seeking to improve, always taking the toughest moguls and traversing along cliffs with ski’s on my back to reach the most challenging terrain, I’ve been able to push my skill level up to the point that the I seek to ski the double diamond extreme slopes. Give me a challenge and I will step up. I seek the steepest shoot or moguls field on every mountain I visit. Now I am always searching for the next adventure, while keeping safety and control in mind. 
My father and I shared spectacular experiences together bringing us closer that created such a tight relationship when life gets complicated we both keep this trip in our mind’s eye. I picture skiing down the back bowl of Vail with first tracks on a bluebird day. Joy rivets through my bones, mixing with the constant stream of adrenaline and excitement. This is where I am happiest. This is what I live for. Nothing compares to the turns, the rapid-fire problems and obstacles.  My mind doesn't think about any of these, my body just reacts. Skiing is instinctive now. I never have to think about what turn to make, where to turn, I just do it. There are no decisions to make. I just ski. 
The main thing that people probably notice about my skiing is my energy. I truly love it. I am always smiling, laughing and even euphoric. Nothing surpasses this for me. I stand at the top of the hill and adrenaline rushes through my veins as I push off.  I start to gain speed, as the hill grows steeper.  The cold wind rips across my face and snot runs down my nose.  I edge my skis to the right and the then cut to the left as I meander down the slope. I shoot off on a trail through the wooded glades and hit a jump upon reentry to the main course. My skies clap as they hit the snow, and I begin to pick up more speed as I enter the steepest part of the hill.  As I make my hockey stop, snow flies into the air..  I blow my nose with the Kleenex put on some protective lip gloss from my pocket and











then head up the lift to do it all over again. These are the moments I share and encourage others to share with me by signing up for ski club!
  When I ski, I can conquer the world nothing is stopping me as I am completely in control and free to be me. On top of the mountain everything is clear, life makes sense. Nothing fazes me, there are no limits, it’s a sublime feeling of freedom and mobility with a sense of flying. You, your skis and nature become one heartening your body and soul. Skiing is ubiquitous part of my life. Once you master it and feel the rush there is no turning back. My close friends would describe me as ski obsessed. “Do you think about anything besides skiing?” asked a longtime friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment